libc headers

Hi,

I am trying to compile some code that uses a function __select. The
compiler complains that the function is not declared. This fucntion
turns out to be part of libc.so.6 library I think.

I use 2.4.27.16 compiled from source. I have grepped for this function
down through /usr/include and at /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27/include
and don't find it.

Can anyone help me with where headers for this library/function ought
to be and how to get them there?

(and also if anyone can enlighten me as to what the so.6 extension on
the lib means, I'd be ... well, enlightened ...)

thanks very much

Daniel

--
Daniel McBrearty