Re: sounds server

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:35:09 -0700
"Rodney D. Myers" <rdmyers@mtpalomar.net> wrote:

> Which sound server do most people use? arts? esd? jack?
>
> I've moved to ALSA, and using arts in conjunction with WindowMaker,
> and some sounds lag. especially when running gaim and xmms.
>
> ALSA was fairly straight forward once I found enough info on the web,
> but getting simultaneous sounds when running xmms & gaim is still a
> work in progress.
>
> Thanks for the pointers/tips.

I use esd. Arts is then configured to use esd, for the occasional KDE
program I run that wants to output sound. (My desktop is icewm-gnome.)
Having both arts and esd running at times uses more memory, but I have
not noticed any sound delays like you mention (and that's why I avoid
using kde as much as I can).

HTH,
Jacob