Re: Java Virtual Machine

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 10:51, Bill Day wrote:
> Hi list, I am trying to install Fuhquake v0.31 from their installer, I have
> done
> apt-get install java-package, downloaded the jre package from sun ran mpkg to
> create the .deb and installed the deb using dpkg -i ....deb   All went well
> until I ran the installer again and it still insists that I append
> -is:javahome
> </path/to/java/home/dir> which I can not lcoate for the life of me.
>
> After installing all of these items to I need to start sometheing like a
> daemon
> to be able to have JVM?
>
> Exact output:
>

> bill@beast:~$ /home/FileServ/Files/GAMES/quake_files/QUAKE1/Versions/CLIENTS/FuhQuake_Installer_v0.31_linux.bin
> InstallShield Wizard
>
> Initializing InstallShield Wizard...
>
> Searching for Java(tm) Virtual Machine...
> <snip>
> ..............................A suitable JVM could not be found. Please run
> the program again using the option -is:javahome <JAVA HOME DIR>

First, thanks for bringing this up. I wasn't even aware of fuhquake
until this post, and it's made my gaming life at work much easier. (No
more having to find a windows PC to play after work.)

I ran into the same problem that you did and did some research. It seems
that the installer only accepts JVM's versions 1.4 and lower. I am
running a 1.5 JVM which is causing it to not work. I just downloaded the
1.4 JRE and installed it in a temp directory and pointed the installer
to it with the -is:javahome option, and now it's working fine. If you
still haven't managed to get it working I'd suggest you give it a shot.

Now I just need to see if after it's done installing it'll actually
work. :)

p.s. Sorry for the CC but as the original post was from 8 days ago I
just wanted to make sure that you got the response.

--
Alex Malinovich
Golden Technologies, Inc.