Alsa just won't record

Hello list! ,
I am a relatively new user with Debian, and have a setup which works pretty well. I am quite proud of it in fact... However...
I am trying to record using alsa, but i just am not able to.
My microphone is at maximum level, muted, set to capture.
The "capture" device is at volume 0, set to capture.
When i unmute my mike, I can hear clearly myself in it, but I just can't seem to be able to record in it. I have tried using arecord with about every possible option, without success. Anybody have an idea please? My goal is to use Skype, to be able to trash totally my windows partition ;) This recording thing is vital for me as i have friends and family in china and want to skype them.
Thanks a bunch!
Yannack

PS: i have no problem playing multiple sounds at once.