Re: How to unsubscribe

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:02:41AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> I've yet to see an argument against just honouring unsubscribe requests
> to debian-user@...

The argument could be false positives: people that get unsubscribed
although they did not intend to unsubscribe. Example:

Say I run a list manager (e.g. mailman) on my own computer, some users
have problems unsubscribing, I don't know how to help them, so I post
a question on debian-user with the subject "unsubscribe problems with
mailman". I think there would be a high chance that I myself would
then get unsubscribed although that would be clearly unintended. I
guess I would then get a warning email before I am really
unsubscribed, but still...

Argument two would be that we don't want to encourage laziness in
people that don't even read the unsubscribe instructions and just
assume that you can unsubscribe by replying.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill