Re: apt-get upgrade problem

On 4/27/05, George Alexandru Dragoi <waruiinu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I remember i had a problem before with apt. I have sid, and after i do
> apt-get update and then upgrade, many services get stopped, then
> archives get untared, apt ask me about keeping some configuration
> files, and finally the stopped services get started. This is not much
> problem, but on that machine i have quagga and after bgpd goes down
> .... I remain outside. When first time this happened, i could run to
> that router and start quagga, second time i was ready to stay
> connected on the ISP ip so i could start quagga. But, please, how can
> i tell apt NOT TO STOP quagga?

Seems like the only way to prevent it from stopping a service is
simply not to upgrade the service.  You can pin the package.  I had to
add the following lines to /etc/apt/preferences to prevent apt-get
from upgrading erlang:

  Package: erlang
  Pin: version 9.2.2*
  Pin-Priority: 1000

  Package: erlang-base
  Pin: version 9.2.2*
  Pin-Priority: 1000

Debian's documentation explains how to pin packages.

--
Jiann-Ming Su