Hardware random on Dell PE SC1425

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 and I've built a kernel with the hardware random module (hw_random or hwrandom as it's sometimes called). The module loads and the device files get created, but I can't read anything from the device file at all (it just hangs). I've also installed rng-tools and tried starting the entropy gatherer but this fails.

Am I missing something obvious? How can I get hardware random number generation working?

The server has a Xeon chip and an Intel chipset.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

--
Chris Boot