RE: Hardware random on Dell PE SC1425

Have you tried compiling it in and typing dmesg, checking the output
when it loads and then try the rng-tools?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Boot [mailto:bootc@bootc.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:28 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Hardware random on Dell PE SC1425

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 and I've built a kernel
with the hardware random module (hw_random or hwrandom as it's sometimes

called). The module loads and the device files get created, but I can't
read anything from the device file at all (it just hangs). I've also
installed rng-tools and tried starting the entropy gatherer but this
fails.

Am I missing something obvious? How can I get hardware random number
generation working?

The server has a Xeon chip and an Intel chipset.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

--
Chris Boot