Re: SSH Blocking

On Monday, 25.04.2005 at 17:46 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Monday April 25 2005 7:50 am, Dave Ewart wrote:
>
> > Changing SSH port is 'really' more secure (obscurity and all that),
> > but it's an extra layer and, if nothing else, stops your logs
> > getting cluttered with all the failed logins ...
>
> Another thing you'll want to do is avoid the bloody obvious logins
> that the automated scans seem drawn towards.  Might be interesting to
> set up a honeypot that accepts any login with any password and see
> what it tries to do.  I'd do it, but don't have the resources to set
> up a honeypot, much less know how to set one up securely.

I think someone tried this recently; I believe there was a write-up
about it on the Security Focus 'incidents' list a while back ...  IIRC a
lot of it was 'user backup, password backup' etc.  Not very clever, so
probably not much a real threat, more an annoyance.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org