Re: SSH Blocking

On Monday, 25.04.2005 at 09:42 -0500, Nick Miller wrote:

>  I maintain a couple of exim mail servers on the Internet and I have
> noticed that a lot of people will try to gain access to these machines
> by trying multiple SSH logins with all sorts of names. I am wondering if
> there is an option in SSHD to block an IP after a certain amount of
> failed login attempts as any user?

There are, but it may be simpler to change the port that SSH listens on.
The behaviour you're seeing is likely not actually "people", but an
automated scan of some sort.  Changing SSH port is 'really' more secure
(obscurity and all that), but it's an extra layer and, if nothing else,
stops your logs getting cluttered with all the failed logins ...

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org