Re: Thesis/Dissertation authoring application

Dave Ewart <davee@sungate.co.uk> writes:

> On Monday, 25.04.2005 at 17:40 +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:
>
> /me goes off at a tangent
>
> Thing is, given the typographical errors which appear in first proofs
> from the "Send us Word only" journals, it is clear that they *re-type*
> the content by hand.  And yet our researchers spend hours formatting
> their document etc. - which I've told them on numerous occasions is
> completely pointless ...  :-)

Well, maybe not completely pointless, as e.g. for internal proof
reading or preprints some proper formatting still makes sense. Plus, it
gives publishers at least an idea about how things should look like.

Best thing to do presumably is to repeat pointing out to them
journals the benefits of Tex they themselves could enjoy, especially
with regard to retyping. Probably won't help though if they're locked
into some product like InDesign or whatever.

Regards, Bruno.