Re: Samba update moved my shares (again)

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 05:57:16PM -0400, Angelina Carlton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 04:16:59PM -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > On Friday 22 April 2005 16:11, Clive Menzies wrote:
>
> > > Please don't top post; it makes it difficult for people to follow the
> > > thread :)
> > Personel pref.  Please don't spam the list with your pref. becuse someone does
> > it diff. then you would.  Linux it choice.
>
> Personally I dont mind if people top or bottom post so long as they
> trim off the irrelevant stuff.
>
> > > This is the source of your problem /var is used by the system when
> > > installing and configuring packages, it is NOT for data (other than
> > > logfiles) - put all your data under /home.
>
> I have apache running on Debian 3.0, it installs to /var/www

Indeed. The main problem the OP seems to be having is installing to
a directory that samba created and (believes) it owns exclusively.
>From the .postinst script:
   # --- Begin of FHS migration code ---

   # Starting with Samba 2.2.3-4 the WINS database, the browse
   #	database and other important run-time files are stored in
   #	FHS-compliant directories. The following code takes care of
   #	moving the files in the old directories (/var/samba/ and
   #	/var/state/samba) to the new FHS-compliant directories.

If you really want the shares under /var, maybe create a /var/local/
hierarchy that *you* own.  Also, I'm not any expert on the FHS, so
maybe you would want to look at it for placements that are appropriate.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.