phpmyadmin install (noob)

I'm playing with mysql, phpmyadmin, and eventually postnuke. apt-get installed the Debian Sarge
package phpmyadmin in /usr/share/phpmyadmin with a symlink to
/var/www.  I need to browse the phpmyadmin directory (index.php).

Since I have some virtual hosts, the first virtual host in the list is the
DEFAULT, and I don't know how to browse the /var/www directory specifically. (The
DocumentRoot for the default virtual host is /home/mydefaultvirtualhost/www)

I made a symlink from /usr/share/phpmyadmin to /home/mydefaultvirtualhost/www, but I still can't browse www.mydomain.com/phpmyadmin. Privileges are OK. The error is the generic Apache "Internal Server Error" Any ideas? Tnx! - John