Re: history of system

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 13:16 -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Every time after I run apt-get, I run this script AS ROOT:
> >
> >   #!/bin/sh
> >
> >   x=`date +%y%m%d.%H%M`
> >   COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l > ~/dpkg/dpkg.installed.$x
> >   ln -sf ~/dpkg/dpkg.installed.$x ~/dpkg/dpkg.installed
> >
> > diff'ing files tells me what changed.
> >
> Very similar to the script I use, except that mine auto-diffs.  The
> question is why run it as root?  Am I missing a security issue?

Since apt-get must be run as root, I run the script as root, too.

>                                                            ~gt is
> my 'admin' user and permissions are 700.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
society. If we're looking for the sources of our troubles, we
shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power."
P.J. O'Rourke, satirist