Re: Similar systems, different performance of fortran code

Le vendredi 22 avril 2005 à 00:48 +0900, Victor Munoz a écrit :

> > It could be that from g77-2.95 to g77-3.3 some standard optimisations
> > have been lost. Maybe in 3.3 the emitted code blows the CPU cache ...
> > Have you looked at your problem from this angle ?
> >

> It could be. Someone on the list suggested using the same compiler in both
> machines, to rule out this problem. I have to do that, but if there's some
> problem as the one you mention, how can it be investigated? Do you know?

Note that g77-2.95 is still available in Sarge. I am not sure for Sid
but both distros are close enough these days that you should find it.

Then, if you confirm that your problem is related to compiler vagaries,
I suggest you begin to lurk around the mailing lists of g77/gcc ... not
a small task. But your problem could be (a) either already known (and
workarounds too) or (b) entirely unknown, and then probably interesting
to the maintainers of the gcc suite.

Aurélien

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.