Re: Nvu finally in sarge

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 04:59 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 04:34:52PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > >
> > > Does nvu actually do anything new, that wasn't available in Quanta
> > > etc.? Seemed very overhyped last time I looked, but maybe I'm missing
> > > something?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Lee.
> >
> > Last I looked, you couldn't compose in Quanta in a true WYSIWYG fashion.
> > I know someone in this thread pointed out that WYS changes from browser
> > to browser, but one point I've made over and over is that there are many
> > different learning and thinking styles.  Some people do best coding by
> > hand, but some do best building web code when they can do it visually and
> > see what they are doing.  Nvu works for them much better than Quanta or
> > any other program on Linux.  Even though they may have preview modes (and
> > I think Quanta has some kind of live preview mode), Nvu is the first HTML
> > editor that provides all the features one needs to create web pages on
> > Linux.  Mozilla Composer didn't do forms.  Some programs will display in
> > a preview mode, but if you think visually, coding without seeing it is
> > difficult.  There was also IBM's WebSphere HomePage Builder, but that
> > only ran with Wine and there were issues with it and later versions.
> >
> > I can fully understand why many people want to hand code all their HTML.
> > What I can never understand is why so many people (not all, but a very
> > rude vocal minority -- and no, Lee, I don't mean you at all, here) who
> > hand code their HTML seem to not understand that what works for them does
> > not work for everyone.  For those non-hand-coding and visual thinking
> > people that need to design web pages on Linux, it is wonderful to finally
> > have Nvu on Linux.
>
> Its a modern day version of 'real programmers code only in octal' (pre IBM
> 360)

Good point.

I'm not quite experienced enough to remember those days.  I do remember
learning to program my Apple //e in 65C02 assembler and being able to read
hex codes.  I'd think that qualifies me as someone that can find their way
around a computer, but it's only ego to deride others because they don't do a
task in the same one I (or anyone else) may prefer.

All insulting someone in this way does is show one's ignorance of the variety
of different ways people work and learn.

Hal