Re: Default browser question

Radu Brumariu wrote:

Hi Radu:

Thanks for your reply. I tried that command and it gave me a list of
browsers located in /usr/bin ... none of which was firefox. Firefox on
my computer resides at home$/mozilla/firefox. Incidentally, I tried to
pick another browser on the list (mozilla), but Epiphany was again
started by default. It REALLY likes Epiphany ! hehe

   You have a local installation of firefox ... that's why it's not in
the list. You can force it with update-alternatives --set x-www-broswer
/path/to/firefox ( but this is system wide ... so you need to do it as
root, you might also want to either install the firefox via apt-get or
put it in an available location ( such as /usr/local or /local ) )
   I am not that familiar with KDE , but in gnome you can start
gnome-default-applications-properties .

   You may also need to re-start ( I am not sure about this ) the
kdm/gdm after you set the preferences.

Radu

Jamie

Radu:

That was the ticket - apt-get. Once I installed both Firefox and Thunderbird the Debian way, then the update-alternatives kicked in. The will teach me to install correctly ! :)

Thanks again !

Jamie