Re: Java Virtual Machine

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 10:51 -0400, Bill Day wrote:
> Hi list, I am trying to install Fuhquake v0.31 from their installer, I have
> done
> apt-get install java-package, downloaded the jre package from sun ran mpkg to
> create the .deb and installed the deb using dpkg -i ....deb   All went well
> until I ran the installer again and it still insists that I append
> -is:javahome </path/to/java/home/dir>
> which I can not lcoate for the life of me.

Mine is JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jdk1.5.0_02 -- it's where the Java package
was installed.

'find / -iname jre' will (probably) find it for you.

> After installing all of these items to I need to start sometheing like a
> daemon
> to be able to have JVM?

Having just recently gone through all that, it looks to me like the
problem is that somebody doesn't know where some part of Jave is stored.
There's no daemon; the "java" command *is* the JVM, but it needs to know
where some things are.

There's a document called Debian GNU/Linux Java FAQ at

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/

Section 11.1.2, Making Java 2 work in Debian, contains useful info about
environment variables and /etc/alternatives. JAVA_HOME was one of them.

After going through all the .deb stuff, with no joy, I gave up and got
the Java 5 SDK package from Sun.

It wasn't trivial for this noob++. I installed the Java 5 JDK from Sun,
and it's working perfectly (so far)...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com