Re: anyone using an usb dvd rw ?

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:57:48 +0200
A Mennucc <mennucc1@debian.org> wrote:

> hi
>
> I would like to buy an external  DVD writer
>
> (for example, the  Lite-on Ldw851SX - Dvd+-R 8x
> that I find at
> http://www.computershop.pisa.it/Catalogo/dettagli.asp?id=1177
> for a very good price)
>
> before wasting my money, I would love to hear a
> word from a fellow Debian user: is there anyone
> succesfully using an USB  external DVD writer with Debian ?
>
> (I tried googling around ;
>  http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
> <http://fy.chalmers.se/%7Eappro/linux/DVD+RW/>
> claims that USB drives should work, but
> "not from personal experience": not very comforting )
>
> thanks in advance

Yes. I went out and bought a Mad Dog IDE model and put it in the
external case where my CD-RW used to be. It's been working fine for a
couple of weeks. I've burned ISOs, CDs,data, recordables, rerecordables,
even booted from it (though the boot DVD lost track of which device it
booted from, which is OK since I have an internal reader, too).

I _did_ have one issue where I forgot to turn on burnfree and had some
buffer problems. But that was my fault.

As for USB, I've only had one drive ever fail me on the USB line, and
that was the fault of the case. Everything else I've ever used (jump
drives, cameras, mice, keyboards, MP3 players, hubs, bluetooth,
external drives) have given me no problems whatsoever.

--
Microsoft: The company that made computing dangerous.