Debian setup of ALSA to play ogle dvd with audio

I took the liberty of copying the list.  I am subscribed to the digest but
don't mind CC's.

As a summary I have ogle successfully playing video but not sound on my
woody system using the 2.4.18 bf2.4 kernel.  es1371 is the module that
goes with my sound card at 0x10.  vlc plays video but not as well.  noatun
or KDE media player finds the files but 'doesn't know what to do' with
them.  Following the advice of the FAQ on the ogle website I use 'artsdsp
ogle' to start ogle in a Konsole under KDE.  I also googled and found a
question about ogle to the list a year ago.  Following that advice my user
account is in the audio group.  The ogle-gui seems to show AC3 English as
a sound stream.

	Just for the curious, the dvd that I'm using to test the setup is
The Incredibles!  %-}  If my dvd player under Windows 98SE would stop
crashing, I could even enjoy it!

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
>
> >Yep, Debian is more for the Geek.  I'll have to try some of that stuff
> >tonight after HoneyDo projects, etc.
> >
> >If you grep for snd, it might be OSS.  ALSA, I think, has alsa as part of
> >the name.  That was a recent message on Debian user that seemed to
> >indicate that is the way to tell, IIRC!  ;-)
> >
> >dpkg -l | grep snd
> >
> >dpkg -l | grep alsa
> >

> Glad you showed the greppies.  I'm totally unfamiliar with it but have
> used it when someone has set
> it up to do a specific tassk.  Grepped snd and get only prompt back;
> grepped alsa and get back:
> ii  alsa-base      1.0.8-7        ALSA driver configuration files
> ii  alsa-oss       1.0.8-1        ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
> ii  alsa-utils     1.0.8-4        ALSA utilities
> lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$( whatever "ii" means)

"ii" means that the package is properly installed.  If you look at the
first few lines of dpkg -l >ffoo.txt, then you'll see a short help list.
The man dpkg or info dpkg should tell you more.

> It looks like I don't have OSS but I know, or at least read somewhere,
> that my ymfpci module is OSS and
> its loaded on startup as are some other YMF724F card drivers which are
> OSS types.  Wonder if this might
> be problamatic for me?  I don't really know enough about linux drivers
> to know if this is causative.  I selected
> the Yamaha YMF724F drivers/modules using taskselect(or some setup
> program) when I installed woody.  Of course, Debian doesn't give enough
> info for you to make a somewhat intellegent selection using the CD's.

This is true!  I advised someone to run belarc  (sp?) on his Windows
system to list all his hardware before installation!

> That's why I had soooooo much trouble getting the woody system installed
> and setup corroctly.  Well Mr. Guerin examined my module list and
> proclaimed it setup right, but still no sound.  We're trying to figure
> what's causing the "too many symbolic links" error message especially
> since ls -l only shows one link to dsp.
> I think I need to read man ls and see what it says.  I think the 3rd
> column in the ls -l output is supposed to be the number of symbolic
> links the file/device has.  If so, my output says I have three but only
> one listed.  On an

-rw-r--r--    1 fairless Premium       617 Oct  1  2004 Firemaking.txt
-rw-------    1 fairless Premium     52568 Sep 28  2004 digest2004n1256.txt
-rw-------    1 fairless Premium      1402 Jun 28  2004 duesless.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 fairless Premium      9464 Jun 24  2004 mesg0.txt
-rw-------    1 fairless Premium       677 Aug  9  2004 new.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 fairless Premium       780 Jun  9  2004 pcilist.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 fairless Premium      7719 Jul  2  2004 readme.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 fairless Premium      6822 Dec 31 22:21 spoof2paypal.txt
-rw-r--r--    3 fairless Premium        71 Jun 13  2004 uname.txt
-rw-r--r--    3 fairless Premium        71 Jun 13  2004 uname
-rw-r--r--    3 fairless Premium        71 Jun 13  2004 uname.text

The '3' next to fairless in the previous listing from ls -agl is the
number of links or inodes pointing to the same dataset or one location in
this directory.  All 3 links or paths don't have to point to the same
directory.  That means that one file with multiple links 'all over the
place' could be hard to finally delete!  Only when the last inode is
severed or deleted is that space released for overwriting or reuse.

	You probably recognize the columns: permission bits, inode count,
owner name, group name, filesize, date, and filename.

> earlier KDE version before I got into upgrading with testing, there was
> a program I tried that listed links, especially broken links, and I'd
> like to browse for broken links again.  Could it have been the file
> manager program?  If you know of the specific program that does this,
> please let me know.  I don't know much but if I
> can find the error or problem specifically, I usually can fix it.  Mr.
> Guerin hasn't  got back since my last reply
> this morning so maybe he has a solution.  Check you later.
> Leonard

	I was up last night trying to install a bunch of ALSA stuff.
Since I'm at work, I'll have to wait to install yours that I'm still
missing.  I couldn't get alsaconf to find an ALSA driver for es1371 which
appears to be Ensoniq 1371 (rev 97), IIRC.  And it shows up in my lsmod
list!  I guess I might need the OSS wrapper package that you have.  I
nearly reinstalled another kernel trying to get some package named
alsadrivers.  I think that was meant for people compiling alsa modules
into a custom kernel so I might want to stay away from that approach! Well
actually I do have 2.4.16 686 image in addition to the bf2.4 kernel that
works.  The 2.4.16 kernel panics because the initrd is probably not set up
for it (vfs can't mount root on 21.41? Duh! ); however, that's a wild
goose chase for this question.

	Presently, I can use ogle (0.8.2 in the woody package) to play
'silent movies!'

--
Are we having fun yet?