Re: Linux compatible USB adapter.

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 19:14 +0300, Daniel M. wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I want to buy a Linux compatible PCI to USB 2.0 adapter. What I should

PCI "to" USB?

If you just want to add more USB ports to your system, any cheap
card should do the trick.

> be looking for so that an adapter I am going to buy will be fully compatible?
> I am very far from being an expert in hardware buzzwords, but from Linux's
> documentation and info on www.linux-usb.org site I understood that there are
> at least two things to look for: "USB 2.0 high speed" and "EHCI".

It is my understanding that EHCI implements "USB 2.0 high speed",
so as long as the card says "USB 2.0 high speed", you should be fine.

> If I see those two phrases in adapter's specs, is that enough to be sure
> that an adapter device is Linux compatible? If not, what is an additional
> information to look for? If yes, are those two necessary, or could one of them
> be dropped (though I think that "high speed" is necessary if you want USB 2.0
> instead of USB 1.1)?
>
> Daniel.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Everyone is always in favour of general economy and particular
expenditure."
Anthony Eden, British prime minister