Re: howto update PATH

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:

> > > I hope this isn't completely stupid, but shouldn't .bash_profile be
> > > executable. (and .bashrc).

no ... those files are not executed ... they are read and the reader
does what its told

> > > I had a similar problem and it was solved when I did this.
> > >
> > > - -rwxrwxrwx  1 jdkaye jdkaye  818 2005-04-10 11:19 .bash_profile

it'd be mroe likely your login process is not finding your
login scripts ... or the very first line of the script or
an error in the script
	- run the script manually ( source ~/.bashrc ) and see if it bombs

> Same here, checked on the other install, none is executable.

its not supposed to be and doesnt need to be

~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsessions does need to be executable ..

c ya
alvin