howto update PATH

Hi, suddnely after a long time running 2.6.8 sarge I notice that it's not
exporting PATH environment from .bash_profile. Even if i set it globally
in /etc/profile it will not be exported. If I run the command PATH and
export it manually its there untill next reboot.

Current .bash_profile settings is :

if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
    PATH="~/bin:${PATH}"
fi

umask 022

Then I added
export PATH

This did not work either.

Then I change the settings above to :

PATH=$PATH:~/bin
export PATH

still not working....I also tryed the full path, changed ~/bin to
/home/ernst/bin in both /etc/profile and .bash_profile

The rights on that fle is
ernst@mad $ ll .bash_profile
-rw-r--r--  1 ernst ernst 400 2005-04-19 22:30 .bash_profile
ernst@mad $

I have the same .bash_profile on my desktop computer (this is a laptop)
and its working fine there.

any tips ??

/ernst-magne