Re: Webmin and Sarge

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, John Fleming wrote:

Mike said:
Sorry, I'm a bit new to debian.

I just setup a little debian server for my brother and was wondering
why
only portions of webmin are in the main, contrib and non-free
repositories. Basically I'm looking for webmin-postfix, webmin-bind,
webmin-dhcp and some other packages like that. If I remember
correctly,
last time I setup a sarge box they were all there.

Does anybody know what is going on with the rest of the packages? All
get is;

apt-cache search webmin
webmin - web-based administration toolkit
webmin-cluster - cluster control modules for webmin
webmin-core - core modules for webmin
webmin-exim - exim mail server control module for webmin
webmin-ldap-netgroups - LDAP webmin module for editing netgroups
webmin-ldap-user-simple - Ldap users control module for webmin
(skolelinux)
webmin-slbackup - Webmin module for Skolelinux Backup (slbackup)
webmin-snort - snort control module for webmin
webmin-virtual-server - virtual hosting management module for webmin
(virtualmin)
webmin-filemanager - file manager module for webmin
webmin-qmailadmin - qmail control module for webmin
webmin-sentry - portsentry control module for webmin
webmin-telnet - telnet module for webmin

And then there is nothing for usermin anymore.either

Thanks,
-Michael
Search the archives - I can't regurgitate the exact explanation that
was given, but you'll find a 2-3 msg thread about it within the last
few months.  A bunch temporarily (hopefully) disappeared a few months
ago.  The advice was to pull the packages from Sid and not to worry.
I did that for one, and it was fine.  I believe it was tha package
maintainer that answered the original question.  I asked for any
update info recently and didn't get an answer.  Anyone know if the
missing webmin packages will be available prior to Sarge going stable?

Hi John and Mike,

Yes that was me who answered the original question.  For those who missed
the explanation, it goes like this.  Packages are uploaded to the unstable
distribution (sid.)  If they are free of major (release-critical) bugs for
a certain number of days, they move to the testing (sarge) distribution.
When sarge is reasonably complete and bug free, it will be declared the
new stable distribution.

The trouble is some of the webmin components had release-critical bugs and
did not migrate to testing with the other bits.  You can however get them
from unstable right now.  Today I fixed the last of these bugs and the
missing modules will migrate to testing by Tuesday at the latest.

And before anyone asks, I know there are newer webmin versions than 1.180
available.  But the priority was to get 1.180 fully assembled and bug-free
first.  If there is time before the freeze the newer versions may get
packaged but probably not,

Thanks for informing us Jaldhar! My brother will be happy that he can sort of start to understand his linux server via webmin. I've been trying to teach him how to do everything at the command line but I live many hundreds of miles away. I don't think 1.180 and 1.190 is a big deal. They both work just fine IMHO. I personally wish webmin was a little better at formatting at times but what the heck, it does the job pretty well. Once he starts seeing what it's doing in the config files I'm sure he'll be fine with linux for his server.

Thanks again, your work/contrib is much appreciated and an integral part of getting things like this out there for everybody to use!

-Mike