Re: jigdo Sarge DVD download broken?

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 01:41:46AM -0700, Kevin1 wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Sønke.
>
> > I have no experience with Jidgo, but do you really need a DVD with
> > over 3GB of files?
>
> I am new to Linux and may need to reinstall if I really louse things up
> while experimenting. It appears convenient to have everything on one or
> two DVDs, rather than having to download every time I install. I'm sure
> I will only explore a fraction of the 8000+ packages in the distro, but
> again it will be convenient to do a quick install from DVD, only
> updating from the web if I decide to use it.
>
> > The problem is probably that a lot of the files referenced in the
> > template from 23 march are removed or updated to newer versions.
>
> If files in the 'Testing' distro are updated more frequently than the
> 'jigdo' or 'template' files, then it would appear that jigdo will
> rarely work. If so,I wonder what is the point of Debian providing this
> method of downloading 'Testing'?
Hi Kevin,

if you're trying to do a jigdo install and you have missing files, I
found it useful to try and get all the files you can from the jigdo
server. After the procedure has failed due to missing files, you restart
jigdo, and where you are asked for the server you want to use you enter
http://snapshot.debian.net, with the right subdirectory. I have used
that method and it worked well every time.

> > Unless your debian system will have no network access a network
> > install will be the better solution.
> > Check out http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>
> I'll certainly give it a try.
No network (at least at home; only modem) was exactly the reason for me
doing the jigdo. In this way I could have the full Debian, still update
at Uni without too much hassle. Mind you, the updates (over something
like two months) were still huge.

> Thanks again,
>
> Kevin

Hth,