ACPI sleeping Problems

So, I've just received a new laptop and I've been struggling with
getting it to sleep properly. I'm using Debian Sarge and have installed
the 2.6.8 kernel. I have enabled all of the ACPI options (Not the
Toshiba ones, but the ASUS ones since my sytem is an Asus).

The problem I'm getting is that when I do a:

echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep

The system looks like it's going to sleep for me, it displays lots of
nice messages beeps, then beeps again and goes right back to where it
was.

I have been reading some other posts from a while ago and some other
sites, they all seem to indicate that I need to compile a custom kernel
and I need to install another package (hibernate, swsusp, etc). I'm not
too keen on having to compile a custom kernel so I was wondering if
there was any other way that I could get my laptop to sleep for me?

--
Derek Wueppelmann