Re: Webmin and Sarge

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> To: "Mike" <stuff@dustsmoke.com>; "John Fleming" <John.Fleming@ShelbyvilleCommunityChurch.org>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: Webmin and Sarge

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, John Fleming wrote:

Mike said:
> Sorry, I'm a bit new to debian.
>
> I just setup a little debian server for my brother and was wondering
> why
> only portions of webmin are in the main, contrib and non-free
> repositories. Basically I'm looking for webmin-postfix, webmin-bind,
> webmin-dhcp and some other packages like that. If I remember
> correctly,
> last time I setup a sarge box they were all there.
>
> Does anybody know what is going on with the rest of the packages? All
> get is;

> apt-cache search webmin
> webmin - web-based administration toolkit
> webmin-cluster - cluster control modules for webmin
> webmin-core - core modules for webmin
> webmin-exim - exim mail server control module for webmin
> webmin-ldap-netgroups - LDAP webmin module for editing netgroups
> webmin-ldap-user-simple - Ldap users control module for webmin
> (skolelinux)
> webmin-slbackup - Webmin module for Skolelinux Backup (slbackup)
> webmin-snort - snort control module for webmin
> webmin-virtual-server - virtual hosting management module for webmin
> (virtualmin)
> webmin-filemanager - file manager module for webmin
> webmin-qmailadmin - qmail control module for webmin
> webmin-sentry - portsentry control module for webmin
> webmin-telnet - telnet module for webmin
>
> And then there is nothing for usermin anymore.either
>
> Thanks,
> -Michael

Search the archives - I can't regurgitate the exact explanation that
was given, but you'll find a 2-3 msg thread about it within the last
few months.  A bunch temporarily (hopefully) disappeared a few months
ago.  The advice was to pull the packages from Sid and not to worry.
I did that for one, and it was fine.  I believe it was tha package
maintainer that answered the original question.  I asked for any
update info recently and didn't get an answer.  Anyone know if the
missing webmin packages will be available prior to Sarge going stable?

Hi John and Mike,

Yes that was me who answered the original question.  For those who missed
the explanation, it goes like this.  Packages are uploaded to the unstable
distribution (sid.)  If they are free of major (release-critical) bugs for
a certain number of days, they move to the testing (sarge) distribution.
When sarge is reasonably complete and bug free, it will be declared the
new stable distribution.

The trouble is some of the webmin components had release-critical bugs and
did not migrate to testing with the other bits.

Thanks Jaldhar - Your explanation above sounds like certain packages had bugs and therefore didn't migrate from sid to sarge. However, what we've noticed is that a bunch of packages -were- in sarge, but later disappeared. I have packages installed from sarge months ago that are no longer in sarge. (Maybe I shouldn't be using them??) Did those packages mistakenly migrate to sarge and then have to be pulled back? Anyway, thanks for your work on this! - John