[Fwd: Re: APT-GET UPGRADE VS DIST-UPGRADE]

This is an off-list reply that fully reflects what I was lookin for in a reply.

Leonard Chatagnier
--- Begin Message ---
Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Randall J. Parr wrote:

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Can someone please tell me why dist-upgrade wants to remove kde kdeaddons kvim vimpart, which I have installed and want to keep, while upgrade retains kde and upgrades several of its components. Once before dist-upgrade removed about half of all installed packages, which took some time and effort to reinstall, and I'm not even sure that everything has been put back the way it was. Since then, I always use the -s option before doing any upgrading. Any enlightenment on my part is appreciated. Please copy my email address as I not subscribed.
Thanks for your help,
Leonard Chatagnier

There seems to be a problem/falling-out between the vim folks and the kvim folks. kvim is being dropped by the vim folks but KDE 3.2 needs one of several possible
vim packages (ideally kvim) installed.

$ cat /usr/share/doc/vim/NEWS.Debian.gz
vim (1:6.3-068+4) unstable; urgency=medium

 * The kvim patch is unmaintained and has some annoying bugs, so we
   decided to remove the kvim packages from Debian.

-- Norbert Tretkowski <...>  Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:39:52 +0200

The trick appears to be to install vim-gnome which also satisfies KDE's need for a vim
which lets the vim upgrades proceed without trying to remove kde, etc.

Alternatively, pin vim at your current level so it does not try to upgrade to the newer version that drops kvim.

R.Parr, RHCE
Temporal Arts

Dear Mr. Parr,
Thanks so much for your reply. It's to the point and informative and I'm sure if I follow your suggestions, it will resolve my issue. You are the only one who noticed or responded to my note that I was not subscribed and copied me directly, for that I thank you. I'll not copy this to the list as you didn't; however
I think it would be informative to those on the list.
Thanks so much,
Leonard Chatagnier

Feel free to forward to the list if you feel it would be useful.

R.Parr, RHCE
Temporal Arts

--- End Message ---