dual e1000 on sarge 2.6 kernel

I recently had an issue with a dual port IntelPRO 1000 where only one of
the interfaces would come up.  This was with kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp.

I fixed the problem by rolling my own 2.6.11.7 kernel.

I don't know if this a problem with earlier versions of the 2.6 kernel
generally, or whether I happened to serendipidously stumble upon some
kernel configuration parameter that made it work.

In any case, it would sure be nice if the 2.6 kernel that will ship with
Sarge when Sarge goes live would work w/ stuff like this.  I had a
seperate issue where the Sarge 2.6 kernel doesn't support megaraid2
which also compelled me to roll my own kernel.  It would really be a bit
of a shame if Sarge is out-of-date the first day it's officially
released...

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager