Re: Problems with Debian 3.0 when trying to install on an ASUS av8 motherboard with an ATI x800 graphics card

Selon Richard Pullicino <richard.pullicino@gmail.com>:
Hi,

> Hi!
> I am a linux newbie and i decided to start with debian (following
> suggestions from my friends and colleagues) However when i tried to
> install on a sata hard disk it requested me to install certain modules
> from floppy so that it can use the hard disk. I tried to see if there
> were any sata modules for linux on the mobo cd but to no avail. Next i
> tried to download some but again didnt find any.
>
> When i tried to get the updates through network it couldn't find my
> network device (which is inbuilt) thus i couldn't get updates directly
> from the Internet.
>
> After this failed i decided to try and use an IDE hard disk.
> Installation went flawlessly but then X wouldn't start. It seems that
> X and certain cards from ATI aren't that compatible.
>
> Thus i cannot use Debian at all. Here is a summary of the fore
> mentioned problems
> 1) Cannot find module to use my sata hard disk (for asus av8)
Woody is only offering 2.4 serie kernels which does not include SATA
functionnality (http://kerneltrap.org/node/2926)
> 2) Network device isn't being found by debian
Perhaps another kernel issue depending on the device
> 3) X will not load properly
X version is 4.1 -> your video card is certainly too recent for it

> Thank you for your help!
> Richard

In my opinion, you should switch to Sarge

Have a nice day

Jean-Philippe