Re: kernel-header-2.6.7-1-386

Wayne Topa wrote:
john gennard(joney@clara.co.uk) is reported to have said:

Wayne Topa wrote:

john gennard(joney@clara.co.uk) is reported to have said:

Where can I find the above for download, please?

Use apt-cache  .. but you have to spell it correctly...

apt-cache search kernel-headers-2.6.7-1-386
                              ^
Thanks for the reply. The missing 's' was just a silly
'typo', due to over-tiredness.

'apt-cache' shows nothing (I don't really understand why
it should).

Then you don't understand apt-cache.

I agree, I use it but I don't fully understand it.

From man apt-cache
<-- quote mode on -->
apt-cache performs a variety of operations on APT's package cache.
apt-cache does not manipulate the state of the system but does provide
operations to search and generate interesting output from the package
metadata.
<-- quote mode off -->

If you have up to date package lists, which includes stable, testing
& unstable, you would see it.  Your OP didn't mention what you were
running so.....

I did say I am running Sid (I also have Sarge installed, but only
with a 2.4 kernel whereas Sid has the 2.6.7-1 kernel - both installs
are updated and upgraded twice a week).

I am running testing and apt-cache does show what you are looking for
is available.

VT1 root-3-Buddy:~# apt-cache search kernel-headers-2.6.7-1-386
kernel-headers-2.6.7-1-386 - Linux kernel headers 2.6.7 on 386

Sorry, but 'apt-cache search kernel-headers-2.6.7-1-386 gives me
no output in either installation, so clearly the cache contains
no information on the package.

I want to try compiling a wireless driver on Sid which
has a 2.6.7-1-386 kernel, and just can't find the
kernel-headers for download - I've found
2.6.7-1-386_2.6.7-2-386, but I doubt if that will work unless
I change my kernel. I know I could compile say a 2.6.8
kernel by hand, getting around things that way, but I
would like to try using the kernel-headers.

So include testing and unstable sites in your sources.list and you to
will be able to apt-get the kernel-headers-2.6.7-1-386 package.

I do have unstable sites in my Sid sources.list, particularly 'main',
which according to Andres Salomon's posting to debian-devel-changes
on 2nd July 2004 should cover the package in 'pool/main/k/kernel-image-2.6.7-i386/kernel-headers-2.6.7-1-386 etc'.
What is happening has me baffled.

If, by your question, "Where can I find the above for download" you
meant which site, then I would have suggested you try Google.

Yes I did mean that, and I tried hours of googling which gave hundreds of references but none which pointed to a download site
I could use.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

WT