Geforce 4 MX 440 64M driver problem

Hello,

I run woody at home and decided to migrate from vesa driver to native for my card. I tries it in two different ways but none of them works for me.

1. I have downloaded the latest driver from www.nvidia.com. Installation went fine, I modified /etc/X11/XF86config and replaced

Driver      "vesa"

with

Driver      "nvidia"

loaded glx module and typed startx: NVIDIA logo appeared, gnome 1.4 picture loaded a little and the the system hanged. I hard rebooted and rebooted and rebooted but no luck, it hangs all the time. The same procedure is done on another box with nvidia vanta card and all is working perfectly. Ok, I though the driver is too new and has some problems with my card, so decided to go the debian way:

2. First I uninstalled nvidia driver installed above. I followed steps described here: http://www.e-aiyama.com/~toshi/Computer/Linux/nVidiaConfig.html Everything installed just fine but when I startx, I get back "No devices detected".

Ok I think the problem is with the card because lspci outputs something like this:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0181 (rev c1)

So I am still using vesa driver at home while nvidia driver works fine at work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
--
George Chelidze