Re: Secure wireless connection

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Marco Calviani wrote:

> Hi,
>    i would like to set up a secure wireless connection at home using a
> wireless router. Does anybody can point me to a place where i can find a
> nice howto about this? I visited this link:
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ but i didn't find
> what i was searching for (although very useful)

secure wireless means:

	- everything you do will be sent over ssh or ipsec

	- you do NOT get to use the same login id and passwd
	as your email acct and normal ssh accts

	- you do NOT get to use dhcp
	- you do not get to use ftp/telnet/pop3/imap3

	- if privacy is important... no emails .. no https web over
	wireless

	- use the latest patched ssh, wireless_tools, etc

	- you can only surf web pages or read publicly archived
	mailing lists

	- don't use pass words or pass phrases that can be guessed
	in 1-5 minute of P4-3G w/ 1GB of memory in compute time

- assume that the black van on the top of the mountaintop or high rise
  hotel room that you can see in the far distance can see all your data
  with their high-gain antenna
	- if they are doing that, they've already collected all
	the packets they need to figure out your broken wep-key
	and possibly but unlikely to break your wpa

- how to break wireless... how to protect it ... and all the other
  gazzilllion to do or not to do ..

	http://www.Linux-Wireless.org

c ya
alvin