Re: Secure wireless connection

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:55:01PM -0500, Jacob S wrote:
> And what do you do to keep people from sending spam through your
> wireless router? (I'm not talking about relaying spam through your smtp
> server, but spam from their own computer through your router.)

If someone wants to sit within a few hundred feet of my
house and pump spam through my router, by all means. That's
much more dedication to the cause than I would have.

A friend did bring up this point in the discussion that I
linked to. His main argument is that the police are so
technologically inept that they'll probably attack him for
having, say, allowed child porn to be downloaded through his
router. Relatedly, I suppose vigilante users might retaliate
against spammers by firing a denial-of-service attack
against my router.

These are all possibilities, but in my own particular
balancing they don't seem all that likely. And in any case,
I can mitigate some of them by using traffic shaping to
limit the bandwidth allotted to any one client. That way
spammers couldn't send out very many messages per minute, at
least.

Your balancing of the risks will vary, of course.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org