Re: Install help for Lexmark Z515 needed

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 12:24 am, Don wrote:
> My neighbor just got a Z515 printer and I am tasked with installing it
> under CUPS/Debian-sarge, kernel 2.4.??  We are waiting for a USB
> controller card to arrive (since her bare-bones machine is old enough
> not to have one built in), but I have been attempting to figure out the
> necessary driver for it in the meantime.
>
> Google has turned up several interesting "how to's".  In them, they
> mention that the Z600 CUPS Printer driver 1.0-1 from Lexmark (intended
> for RH 9.0) found on their web page works for the Z515.  The
> downloadable file is actually a very large "script" containing some
> scripting language plus a lot of binary data.
>
> I have read their README contained in the download as well as many
> archived messages concerning the Z515 (didn't find any mentioning
> Debian, however).  Shell scripting is not one of my strong points, so it
> is kinda rough going in figuring out the script.  It also appears
> Lexmark may have changed things since some of the messages were posted.
>
> The actual download filename from their web site is:
> CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz which eventually yields three files: a
> README, COPYING, and z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh which I am trying to run.
>
> I have not been able to run this shell script to completion, getting the
>
> following message:
> > Verifying archive integrity...OK
> > Uncompressing Lexmark Printer Driver............
> > ./xlexinstall: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.3.so: cannot
> > open shared object file: No such file or directory The program returned
> > an error code (127)
>
> I am not sure what this message means.  Has anyone had experience with
> installing a Lexmark Z515 with Debian (especially sarge)?  I'd
> appreciate some pointers.
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Have you tried linuxprinting.org?  That's the single best resource on printers
on Linux that you'll ever find.  I know I've asked questions there and gotten
answers by some of the programmers who are actually working on writing the
code to deal with printer issues.

Hal