Re: setting $PATH

Tom Allison wrote:
I put the following
----
CVSROOT="/var/lib/cvs"
export CVSROOT
----

in my ~/.bash_profile.

When I login from a TTY terminal, this variable is set.

I would like to have it set when I start an xterm (or variant, wterm...)
session from the current Xsession I'm logged into.

I think I would also like to have it in my Xsession environment.

But I can't seem to find a successful place to put these commands.
.bashrc seems to work.

But where can I put it once and have it appear in both the TTY and xterm
environments?

What about the X session environment?

Create a file called ~/.xsession, with these contents:

source .bash_profile
source .xinitrc

No matter which desktop or WM you use, you will get your environment
correctly.  Alternatively you can modify the system default xsession
script to so the same.  This really should be documented somewhere.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr