Re: disabling print job confirmation

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:03:13AM +0200, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 01:54:34PM -0600, Justin Guerin wrote:
> > On Monday 11 April 2005 07:07, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> > >
> > > I use CUPS.How can I disable printing of a page containing the line
> > > "request id is some-id (x file(s))" after each print job? Besides, I
> > > think it should be disabled by default. It's a huge waste of paper.
> >
> > First thing that comes to mind: check the banner settings.  Do you have an
> > ending banner set?  If not, how about the JobSheets setting?  How about the
> > banner= option?  This would appear in the device URI, according to the man
> > page.
> (...)
> I grepped /etc/cups for "JobSheets" and "banner" and found nothing, but the
> above.
>
> Any ideas?

How exactly are you submitting your print jobs?
Are you using the commandline (lp, lpr), some GUI frontend, or are you
printing indirectly through some other application, ...?

Have you tried adding the option "-s" to the lp-commandline, to see if
that has an effect?

Took a little closer look myself:  when doing a recursive grep through
the CUPS sources one finds in systemv/lp.c:

116:   silent      = 0;

The default setting (i.e. verbose).

323:         case 's' : /* Silent */
324:             silent = 1;

That's where option "-s" is handled.

613:   else if (!silent)
614:     printf("request id is %s-%d (%d file(s))\n", printer, job_id, num_files);

What this line of code prints looks more or less exactly like the
message "request id is some-id (x file(s))" you're trying to get rid of.
At least, it appears to be a good candidate for further investigation.

It's the only occurrence of anything similar in the entire CUPS sources.
And it's only printed if silent==0.  The variable "silent" isn't touched
anywhere else, so, apparently, passing "-s" is the most direct way to
get rid that blurb...

Anyway, looks like sufficient evidence to just give it a try :)

That's only the first step, though, to confirm we're on the right track.

What's weird is, that this message should be printed to stdout, so it
would normally show up in the terminal where you invoke the lp command.
I currently have no idea why - in your case - it somehow ends up being
sent to the printer.  But maybe we'll find out...

Almut