Debian + Debian Installer(Sid) + 2.6 kernel + SATA

Hello all,

I understand that some SATA drivers can cause problems if you use them as your
boot drive.  Most notably controllers that use the ata_piix kernel module --
which is the module required for the Dell Precision 370n's that I nearly
purchased.

I'm looking for information about SATA hardware with stable and reasonably
mature Linux support.  Through work we have contracts to buy Dell or Gateway,
but both companies only seem to offer SATA drives -- at least, on the systems
they make available to us.  Or I can build the machines from parts if
necessary, if someone can recommend a well-supported Intel or AMD motherboard.

The other Dell Precision models, the 470n and 670n, both use an Adaptec CERC
controller.  I hear that this controller does not have hardware RAID support,
but I don't care about RAID.  Anyone have any experience with that?

All advice welcome.

Thanks for your help,

Michael peek