Re: Printing and silly students

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 20:09 -0700, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> I'm trying to put together a system to control pointless print jobs at
> my school. I o to a small boarding school with a Windows-based
> computer lab of about 20 machines at any given time. Occasionally,
> some lunkhead will decide that it's a good idea to print a page about
> the dangers of huffing turpentine 99 times.

What's so bad about printing a single page about the dangers of
taking 99 huffs of turpentine?

Oh, you mean 99 pages about huffing turpentine? ;)

>                                           This goes to be a big pain
> after a while (not to mention a lot of toner and paper).
>
> Right now, I'm putting together a plan to revamp the entire school's
> network with Linux (more than likely Debian) machines to control
> traffic and enforce network policy. I'm looking for a way of making
> people responsible for their print jobs from Windows machines as well
> as wireless users on their own laptops. We really just need a way to
> find who issued a print job when big wastes come out of the network
> printer. I am thinking of some kind of Samba solution, but I'm at a
> loss of what to do. So, I'm asking list if they have any ideas.
> Anything is appreciated.

CUPS probably has some accounting functionality.  Googling for
'CUPS accounting' brought up some interesting pages.

Does this help? http://www.wlug.org.nz/CupsAccounting

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If the word has the potency to revive and make us free, it has
also the power to bind, imprison and destroy."
Ralph Ellison