Re: Compiling the newest KDE on stable

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 17:00 -0700, Joel wrote:
> I’m a newbie that would like to try compiling my first program on
> Stable.  I would like to upgrade to the newest version of KDE.  Does
> anyone know of any good How-To’s or just where to begin?  I’m not sure
> if I have gcc installed properly or all the right libraries.

If you're not sure how to tell if you've got the appropriate packages
installed, you may want to do a little learning about debian basics
before you go building & backporting packages.

Check out:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/reference.en.html

If you'd like to try compiling debian packages, KDE may not be the best
place to start. You might want to try some smaller, single binary
package. Also, I wouldn't start by trying to compile "the newest"
anything on stable. It's quite likely that you will run into a bunch of
dependancy problems and such that may be quite a chore to fix for a
beginner.

-davidc