Re: Compiling the newest KDE on stable

--- Joel <badassmexican1@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a newbie that would like to try compiling my
> first program on Stable.  I
> would like to upgrade to the newest version of KDE.
> Does anyone know of any
> good How-To's or just where to begin?  I'm not sure
> if I have gcc installed
> properly or all the right libraries.

Google is your friend:
try searching for
kde 3.4 requirements

http://www.kde.org/info/requirements/3.4.php

this would not be the easiest thing for a beginner to
compile. It might take you a few hours on some
machines.

again Google
kde 3.4 debian

Debian precompiled packages
 (just need to update your apt sources)
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.0/

Debian based Ubuntu also has 3.4 KDE already and new
version  Hoary was just released yesterday.
just have to do apt-get install kdebase (minimal
install)
there are other packages for full install but I forget
the names.

good luck