Re: USB drive keeps becoming "Read-only file system"

On Apr 11, 2005 10:06 AM, Hannuman Bull <hannuman@bullwebsystems.com> wrote:
> I have a USB/Firewire external SeaGate 400 GB hard drive.  I'm using it
> with BackupPC to make backups of 7 computers on my network.  I have been
> unable to get a single network backup completed.  During the backup, I
> notice a change in sound from the hd and the gkrellm monitor for sdb
> goes flatline.
>
> The  "mount" commands shows the drive is still online:
>     /dev/sdb1 on /var/lib/backuppc type ext3 (rw)
>
> When I "ls" the directory, I get nothing.
>
> When I try to write to the directory (ex. "touch test.txt"), I get:
>     touch: cannot touch `test.txt': Read-only file system
>
> After typing "dmesg", I get a few pages of errors related to the drive.
> I've included the first few and last lines below:

[snip]

I've had a problem similar to this with a handful of my USB2 drives.
It happens mostly when copying or reading very large files.

What chipset does your USB/FW enclsure use? I think it might be a
problem with this chipset, OR even the usb bus (mine's a VIA chipset).

# lsusb
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 067b:3507 Prolific Technology, Inc.
[...]

However, mine doesn't specifically go read-only since I use
gnome-volume-manager to mount and it remounts it after the reset
properly.

You can try and play with your fstab settings 'default' to see if it
behaves differently.

man mount
and check the options for ext2/ext3 filesystems.

--
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa@gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com