Re: USB drive keeps becoming "Read-only file system"

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 10:06 -0400, Hannuman Bull wrote:
> I have a USB/Firewire external SeaGate 400 GB hard drive.  I'm using it
> with BackupPC to make backups of 7 computers on my network.  I have been
> unable to get a single network backup completed.  During the backup, I
> notice a change in sound from the hd and the gkrellm monitor for sdb
> goes flatline.
>
> The  "mount" commands shows the drive is still online:
>     /dev/sdb1 on /var/lib/backuppc type ext3 (rw)
>
> When I "ls" the directory, I get nothing.
>
> When I try to write to the directory (ex. "touch test.txt"), I get:
>     touch: cannot touch `test.txt': Read-only file system
I've only ever seen this on a usb flash drive that got corrupted.  Does
it give you the same errors on all the machines?  Does other USB drives
work on the machines in question?

Try the drive out on another system, see if it gives the same error.

---
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy
SagacIT (Pty) Ltd