Re: Services in Debian

Hal Vaughan wrote:
Could someone please tell me if my understanding of this is correct?

I've noticed that when I apt-get a package, that doesn't mean it will be started, but if I start a program (like sshd, or some other service in /etc/init.d/), that it seems to autostart the next time I boot.

To add to other posts, generally something installed with apt-get *will* always auto-start. Only a few programs will ask during configuration if you want them to run on boot. In most cases, if you don't want auto-run, you need to turn it off manually. The update-rc.d program is usually the most convenient way to do that.