Re: gnome: how launch to all workspaces

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 17:28 +0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> michael wrote:
> > Given a new launcher (eg click on xcalc icon to launch xcalc) on a panel
> > how do I launch it to
> > a) all workspaces (xcalc appears in all user's workspaces)
> > b) a named workspace (xcalc appears in, say, 'work' workspace which may
> > not be the current workspace)
>
> I think what you are looking for is devilspie.
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/devilspie

ah, I understand now. Gnome/metacity does not have said facilities so
need Devil's Pie to catch/process window events. I'll installed it so
will see how I get on (not sure it will do quite what I want: eg if
click on xload from panel I want it on all desktops, but if start xload
from an xterm, eg on another machine, will only want it on the current
desktop)

cheers, michael