Re: Sarge and GATOS (ATI Rage 128, 16M All In Wonder)

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:54:15PM +0200, Alban Browaeys wrote:
> Hum, debian xfree 4.3 is not the same that xfree86 upstream 4.3. It is a
> fork ! so the problem is not that it is not up to date but that teh code
> have cahnged a lot since the fork happened !
> By overwriting your debian X 4.3 installation with xfree86 4.3 you made
> somthing pretty weird.

Mmm... Ok.  No big deal, I can just restore the X11 directory from the
tar file I made before I messed it up.

> The best bet i woudl make is to ask on gatos mailing list if debian is
> supported (and where to find the relevant code, process, etc) or maybe to
> find out if gatos drivers are in xorg (the web site is quite outdated, it
> does not even talk about xorg ...)

So the gatos mailing list is the next step...

> debian X 4.3 is mainly for sarge, in a few monthes debian will switch to
> xorg so i wonder if it is worth the trouble to try to make gatos works on
> it. Xorg is a better bet.

You're probably right about that.  As watching TV is not a high
priority, I might just wait.

> Cheers
> Alban
>

> PS: gatos is really not for the faint of hearth. Prerequesite is at least
> to know how to compile a kernel and an Xserver ...I really hope this has
> improved and is already merged to Xorg or have binary for it.
> You will still need to patch your kernel though (but better check the
> mailing :
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=5014

I was trying to avoid having to compile anything, least of all kernel
and X.  I have already compiled multiple kernels, but the amount of
effort seems unreasonable just to watch TV.  There are many higher
priority projects.

Merci de toutes facons...

Augustine