Re: windows seem to scroll by themselves once in a while

 Subject: Re: windows seem to scroll by themselves once in a while
 From: Nick <spambucketREMOVE_THIS@iinet.net.au>
 Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:26:59 +1000
 Newsgroup: linux.debian.user

 Frank Hempel wrote:

 > michael wrote:
 >
 > [...]
 >
 >  >
 >  > It is a Microsoft 2-buttons, 1 scroll wheel, optical, wired USB mouse
 >  > that's plugged into the PS/2 socket.
 >

 > I'm using the same microsoft mouse and I do experience the same
 > behaviour, regardless which OS (including Windows) I run. This magic
 > behaviour disappears (for my case) when I try another (non-microsoft)
 > mouse. This may give another perspective to this matter...;)

 Me too, in both Mandrake and Debian.  I've narrowed it down (I think) to
the scroll-wheel sometimes being "hung" on the top of the resistance bump,
then slipping down to the next detent on its own volition (which has the
effect of scrolling the page). I put down to crappy design: the friction on
the wheel needs to be greater than it is.

 --
 Nick