Re: How to reinstall config files (somewhat SOLVED)

Hi again,

I found some instructions for dpkg.

With these steps I can see what is in apache2 package:

# mkdir temp
# cd temp
# cp /var/cache/apt/archives/apache2_2.0.53-5_i386.deb .
# ar -x apache2_2.0.53-5_i386.deb
Followinf files are extracted:
control.tar.gz
data.tar.gz
debian-binary

then looking contents of those packages:

# tar tzf control.tar.gz
./
./md5sums
./control
# tar tzf data.tar.gz
./
./usr/
./usr/share/
./usr/share/doc/
./usr/share/doc/apache2/
./usr/share/doc/apache2/copyright
./usr/share/doc/apache2/changelog.Debian.gz

It seems that package apache2 doesn't contain any
binaries or config files.

So, then I made just wild guess with:

# apt-cache search apache2 | grep '^apache2'
apache2 - next generation, scalable, extendable web server
apache2-common - next generation, scalable, extendable web server

and tryed to remove/reinstall package apache2-common with:
# apt-get remove --purge apache2-common
# apt-get install apache2

and got back those default configurations :)

Now, I'm wondering how does apache2-common get installed
when entering:
# apt-get install apache2

I mean I cannot see any reference from apache2 to
apache2-common, both of these return nothing:

# apt-cache showpkg apache2 | grep common
# apt-cache show apache2 | grep common

I hope this is not off topic already, hmm, I guess this
list is correct for installation problems also(?)

:)Marko