Re: Annoying problem with GTK apps

Le vendredi 08 avril 2005 à 19:42 +0200, Piero Piutti a écrit :
> On Friday 08 April 2005 18:29, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>
> > You're running applications from the console and expect that they
> > be started in your X enviroment ?
> > Do you mean "a terminal emulator" such as xterm instead of console?
>
> Sorry, my fault. I meant a terminal emulator such as konsole.
>
> > In that case, how are you getting a root prompt ? If you use "su",
> > try "su -m" - that keeps the environent, and homedir, and thus
> > the X credentials.
>
> This works, but I would like to understand why it doesn't if I type "su -" as
> I am used to. Is this behaviour normal in Debian?

read the manual page, it says :

OPTIONS
    -      utilise un interpréteur de commandes initial « login shell »

(translated : "uses an initial command interpreter 'login shell'")

this forbids root to inherit the current user environment

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Piero Piutti
> Debian Linux - KDE 3 - Firefox - Gmail

Be free and open and breezy! Enjoy! Things won't get any better so get
used to it.

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.