Re: Annoying problem with GTK apps

Piero Piutti (<chromewave@gmail.com>) wrote:

> I have recently moved to Debian Sarge from "another" distro and I like
> it a lot, besides a few problems that I'm trying to fix on the way.
> One of these is one related to GTK apps: every time I try to run one
> from the console as root I receive the same error. For istance, if I
> try to run Synaptics this happens:
> adam:~# synaptic
> (synaptic:17058): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Run synaptic as a normal user, it will prompt for the root password.

> Another example, this time with firefox:
> adam:~# firefox
> (firefox-bin:17451): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> Needless to say, if I launch firefox as a normal user, it shows up as
> expected.

Why do you want to start a web browser as root?

> I'm not sure wether or not this problem is strictly related to GTK as
> it also happens with other X apps, not necessarily GTK-based, such as
> xpdf which gives me this slightly different error message:

It is a security setting. Use gksu, kdesu or sux as a user to start the
program - you will be asked for the password. Or set XAUTHORITY:

export XAUTHORITY=/home/piero/.Xauthority

If you use "su -", you also need to set DISPLAY.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976